We frequently have visitors in town who come for a few days, or weeks, to visit Memphis and check out the city. I’m often asked about tourist sites and things to do in the city. Obviously, when you’re here you should check out the different neighborhoods and get a feel for the city (especially if you’re investing here!). And you should check out the different companies and industries that call Memphis home to gain a better understanding of the job market. But, life isn’t all work and Memphis definitely has some great spots for tourists as well! Obviously, there’s Graceland and Beale Street, but there’s also a lot of things you can do that cost very little (if any) money.
Here’s a list of the Top 10 FREE Things to do in Memphis:
1. Stroll down Historic Beale Street– visit the famous Abe Schwab Hardware store and observe the Sidewalk Stars
2. Enjoy a beautiful walk along the Bluffs– The City of Memphis spent millions of dollars creating this 1.5 mile walk overlooking the Mighty Mississippi River
3. Tour the beautiful Mud Island Park– trace a replica of the Mighty Mississippi. The walk over is free, admission charge to ride the monorail
4. Visit The Brooks Museum– admission is Free Wed. from 10 – 4.
5. Visit the beautiful Lichterman Nature Center and Pink Palace Museum– free admission Tues. afternoon, 1 – 4 pm.
6. Visit the spot where Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was assissinated at the Historic Lorraine Hotel– Monday, after 3 pm, free tours of the museum
7. Take a tour of The Peabody Hotel lobby and observe the “March of the Ducks”- daily at 11 am & 5 pm
8. Take in W.C. Handy Park, tribute to the Father of The Blues
9. Observe quite meditation at the lovely Memorial Park Grotto– East Memphis-on Poplar Ave. just West of I-240
10. Travel out to Shelby Farms and take in the buffalo and other wild animals.
Of course, the downtown Memphis area is full of great things to do- from The FedEx Forum (Home of the NBA’s Memphis Grizzlies) to Autozone Park (Home of the Memphis Redbirds), Memphis has many options for sports fans. And, don’t forget that Memphis is the “Bar-B-Que Capital of The World” with many different options for exploring this “slice” of Memphis life.
Memphis is a vibrant, growing Southeast city with many options to choose from. When you’re in town for your next business trip, take some time to check out the city and enjoy the different tourist spots the city has to afford.
For more information, check out: